Our HoverCare service is for those passengers that need a little extra help and assistance to enjoy a safe and comfortable journey on our hovercraft. Our staff are fully trained, giving you extra help if you require it, such as passengers travelling:
- for hospital appointments
- with dementia
- who are autistic
- as a carer
- with hearing impairment
- with visual impairment
- in a wheelchair
- with reduced mobility
We aim to ensure that our hovercraft and terminals are as accessible as possible by providing:
- Wide corridors allowing for easy wheelchair access.
- A ramp with hand rails for boarding and disembarking the Hovercraft.
- Hand rails for easy access in and out of the terminals.
- Accessible counters.
- Digital screens and directional signage.
- Clear audio and visual information with staff always available to communicate directly to those who need it.
- Our onboard safety video shown before each crossing, with audio, subtitles and a deaf signer.
- Large print timetables can be requested at our terminals.
- Priority boarding for HoverCare passengers upon request and for Wessex Cancer Trust patients.
- Accessible unisex toilets and changing places in both terminals.
- A safe haven/quiet zone waiting area.
- Allocated HoverCare seating in the terminals and on board the Hovercraft.
The following accessibility tools are available for use in both our Ryde and Southsea terminals:
- Ear plugs
- Ear defenders
- Walking frames
- Walking sticks
- Hearing loops
We recognise the Hidden Disabilities Sunflower. Customers can choose to wear a Sunflower lanyard as an indication that they may require additional support, assistance or simply a little more time while travelling. We can provide lanyards on request, please ask a member of staff at our Ryde of Southsea terminal.
- Ryde Terminal - The Council operated pay and display car park is opposite our terminal with spaces for disabled card holders.
- Southsea Terminal - The Esplanade' car park and Clarence Esplanade seafront opposite our terminal have spaces for disabled card holders.
Fully trained guide and assistance dogs are welcome aboard our craft at no charge, as are pet dogs. Both our Ryde and Southsea terminals have a dog refreshment area. If you have allergies, please speak to a member of staff and we will endeavour to seat you away from any animals. Please ensure your dog is relieved in an appropriate public area before travelling with us.