Careers - Working for Hovertravel
Our teams are extremely proud to work for the world’s longest operating hovercraft service. Our brand is all about our people who are passionate, driven and self-motivated to deliver more than expected.
We are looking for staff who aspire to be part of our family with the professionalism to deliver a fabulous service, in a safe, compliant working environment.
There are so many opportunities at Hovertravel, where would you like to work?
- Administration, Human Resources & Finance
- Masters (Pilot), Navigators & Crew
- Operational & Customer Services
- Commercial & Marketing
We aim to recruit the best talent and offer a great apprenticeship program. Once you join us we will provide you with a competitive salary and a working environment that is safe, rewarding and enjoyable.
Plus, we offer some great extra ‘HoverPerks’ when working for Hovertravel. Our staff work really hard and they all deserve, apart from a competitive salary some extra benefits and we offer the following;
- Generous annual leave
- Free hovercraft travel for yourself, partner & children
- Discounted travel on Island Line & all South Western Railway services
- Gunwharf Quays discount card
- Discounted travel on Southern Vectis bus services on the Isle Of Wight
- Discounted travel on Brittany Ferries
- Free travel on Stagecoach bus services in and around Portsmouth
- Plus a large variety of other discounts with our industry partners
- Ongoing development and career advancing opportunities with Hovertravel
If you are interested in a career at Hovertravel and joining our dynamic and unique company, then please review our current vacancies below.
We're seeking a maintenance engineer with a background and experience in marine or automotive engineering.
36 hours per week
Shift pattern (2 earlies, 2 lates, 2 off, 2 on-call)
Based in Ryde, Isle of Wight
The Maintenance Engineer is responsible for ensuring that the Hovercraft at Ryde are maintained in accordance with the relevant maintenance schedule.
- Execution of preventative and corrective maintenance programmes
- Conduct scheduled checks on craft, parts and ground equipment
- Diagnose and repair faults and breakdown problems
- Overhaul and replace parts according to maintenance schedule
- Maintenance of safety equipment ensuring within certification dates
- Conducting quality inspections on all work carried out
- Responding to craft breakdowns and dealing with emergency breakdowns as they occur
- Recommending cost efficient engineering solutions
- Experienced maintenance engineer
- Experience in diesel engine propulsion
- Practical common sense attitude
- Flexible, determined to succeed and self-motivated
- Team player
- High standards of professional conduct
- Good problem solving skills
We are looking for a full time Hovercraft Pilot to join our team on based on the Isle of Wight. This is a full time vacancy (36 hours per week) however we would consider candidates looking for a flexible or part time work arrangement.
In order to take command of a hovercraft on this route, an individual must hold one of the following STCW95 Certificates of Competence (CoC);
- Master II/2 or 11/3, (Unlimited, <3000GT, or <500GT)
- Master II/3, limited to "Hovercraft less than 500GT on near-coastal voyages only"
- Appropriately qualified seafarers may apply to obtain this CoC issued by the MCA under STCW regulation II/3 as stated in MGN1856 and with reference to Annex D therein. In recognitions of this, applications will be welcomed from holders of: Chief Mate II/2 or II/3 (Unlimited, or 3000GT)
We're not currently recruiting however please feel free send your CV and we will notify you if any suitable vacancies arise.
To support our continued growth, we are also seeking to recruit Hovercraft Navigators. This is a full-time vacancy (36 hrs per week), however, we would consider candidates looking for a flexible or part-time work arrangement.
This position required applications to hold the following STCW95 Certificate of Competence (CoC):
- Officer of the Watch (OOW) II/1 (Unlimited)
This position may lead to future development towards Master qualification, subject to additional MCA examination for the issue of STCW95 Master II/3, limited to "Hovercraft less than 500GT on near-coastal voyages only".
How to Apply
- 36 hours per week - Mon-Fri
- Based in Ryde office, Isle of Wight
- Oversee the creating and posting of weekly and monthly sales orders through Sage
- Oversee Credit Control within the company, collecting outstanding debt in an efficient and effective manner and ensuring debtor days are kept to an acceptable level.
- Prepare and post daily sales journals
- Oversee the maintenance of the buttons on the cashiers’ tills
- Assist with monthly bank reconciliations
- Oversee purchase ledger, ensuring entries are accurate, ageing is reasonable and balances remain clearly reconciled
- Administer the handling of season ticket direct debit collections
- Overseeing souvenir stock ensuring accurate reporting to Commercial team
- General accounts and administration duties
- To provide a high standard of service to customers in accordance with company policy
- At least 3 year + relevant experience
- Ability to work alone and also in a small team
- Competent Excel user
- Effective communicator both verbally and written
- High level of accuracy
- Good level of spoken and written English
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with co-workers, supervisors and the general public
- Experience using Sage 200 advantageous
At Hovertravel Limited we are committed to an active equal opportunities policy. This runs right through our business from the recruitment and selection procedures, through training and development, appraisal and promotion opportunities to retirement.
Our policy is to promote an environment free from discrimination, harassment and victimisation on the basis of race, colour, nationality, ethnic or national origin, gender, sexual orientation, marital or civil partnership status, gender reassignment, religious or political beliefs, disability, hours of work and age.
We aim to employ people who reflect the diverse nature of our society and we recruit, develop and promote people on merit, and reward outstanding performance regardless of background.