Our Media Pages
Hovertravel, the only scheduled hovercraft operator in the world, was launched in 1965 and is the fastest Isle of Wight ferry service across the Solent. It is the world’s longest running commercial hovercraft operator.
Hovertravel is the fastest way to travel between the Isle of Wight and Portsmouth and therefore provides the most environmentally friendly way to travel. The hovercraft uses the least amount of fuel compared to its competitors, which results in less drag and less friction.
The Hovertravel terminals are located at Quay Road in Ryde, Isle of Wight, and Clarence Esplanade in Southsea, Portsmouth. The service takes under ten minutes and runs every half an hour between 06h15 and 20h30, with a 15 minutes service operating at peak hours.
Hovertravel also operates a Hoverbus which runs between the Southsea Terminal and Gunwharf Quays and takes four minutes.
Tickets can be purchased at Hovertravel terminals and can also be booked online at www.hovertravel.com.
The hovercraft can carry up to 127 passengers per crossing and has an allowance of 30 kilos per person, for baggage. Baggage can be stored in panniers of the craft or can be taken onboard and kept in luggage compartments for extra convenience.
Over 25.5 million people have travelled with Hovertravel since launch.
- Hovertravel carries an average of 15,000 passengers in a week
- It operates 66 journeys in an average day
- Our hovercraft travel at 45 knots
- The nature of the hovercraft allows passengers to be transported from shore to shore without the need of piers or pontoons
- Hovertravel is owned by the Bland Group which was established in 1810 and currently owns 15 companies.